HAVA NJ (Help America Vote Act)
The Help America Vote Act (HAVA) provides for federal monies to assist states in upgrading voting equipment and election procedures to protect the right to vote of all citizens.
HAVA Voting Systems
HAVA sets forth standards for voting equipment and voting procedures to be used in federal elections, for the purpose of protecting the individual right to vote and assuring the accuracy for, and confidence in, the electoral process.
To that end, HAVA requires that all voting systems in the United States meet the following criteria -
- A system that allows voters to review the accuracy of their selections indicated on the voting machine before the ballot is finally cast;
- A means to allow the voter to correct any votes, including any overvotes;
- The provision of an audit of the votes cast, or a permanent paper trail of the votes cast, which would facilitate a more efficient and reliable recount;
- A means to ensure that voters with disabilities, including voters with visual impairments, will be able to vote independently without third party assistance by providing each polling place with at least one direct recording electronic voting system or other voting system equipped for individuals with disabilities;
- The furnishing of multi-lingual ballots in required election districts;
- A system which produces an error rate that does not exceed the error rate standards established under section 3.2.1 of the voting systems standards issued by the Federal Election Commission;
- Establishment of uniform and non-discriminatory standards as to what constitutes a vote.
HAVA Contact Information
Help America Vote Act (HAVA)
Statewide Voter Registration System
NJ Division of Elections
PO Box 304
Trenton, NJ 08625-0304
225 West State Street
Trenton, NJ 08608
HAVA Federal Website
Federal Election Commission